beacon-hill-gc-logo

Beacon Hill Garden Club

From the beginning, Beacon Hill's little brick courtyards fascinated the public; the club's first open-gardens tour in 1929 raised more than $1,000 – at 99¢ per head! The club voted that this money be used "in suitable charitable ways," establishing a pattern of giving and involvement in community affairs. The self-guided tour, which provides a glimpse into a dozen private – hidden – gardens, has been an annual event (with very few exceptions) on the third Thursday in May, and it remains the club's major fundraiser. With up to 3,000 tickets sold at $25 for advance purchase and $30 on the day of the event, the proceeds add up.

Proceeds from the club's fundraisers are divided among various local, regional, and national organizations as well as community projects. The club helps to plant and maintain several small urban green spaces, including a walled garden at Boston's Old North Church, the traffic island at Beacon and Charles streets, a local branch of the Boston Public Library, window boxes at the Charles Street post office, and the garden at the Peter Faneuil House.

www.beaconhillgardenclub.org

 

bennington-gc-logo

Bennington Garden Club

Bennington Garden Club was formed in 1925 , Early in its history, the Bennington Garden Club lobbied successfully for legislation banning billboards from the Vermont landscape. One of the highlights of the club's 80-plus years was the acquisition of a Vermont bog of unusual richness and its subsequent divestiture to the Nature Conservancy. Many of the Bennington Garden Club members have made significant contributions in conservation, horticulture and environmental awareness. In addition to regular meetings during the summer months, the members hold an annual spring clean-up at the Vermont Veterans Home in Bennington and a fundraiser to purchase plants for the Bennington Museum. Recently the club launched a bike trail project.

http://www.benningtongardenclub.com/

berkshire-gc-logo

Berkshire Garden Club

Founded in 1915, the Berkshire Garden Club was active in the Berkshire community from its early years. In the 1960s, the club joined with others in support of "Keep America Beautiful," often credited with inspiring the environmental movement. In the 1970s, members of the club played a key role in saving a median strip at the entrance to Pittsfield, Massachusetts from a highway-widening project.

Members have long been active at the Berkshire Botanical Garden, the Berkshire Historical Society, the Berkshire Museum, and the Housatonic River Watershed Association., and the entrance garden to the Hancock Shaker Village. The club's grants committee has responsibility for making substantial grants to four or five local organizations each year.

buzzards-bay-gc-logo

Garden Club of Buzzards Bay

The Garden Club of Buzzards Bay was founded in 1930. Horticultural, in its focus, boxwood plantings, and community beautification continue to be important aspects of club activities. . The club annually donates new garden books to every public library in the five Buzzards Bay communities . The club maintains the Wild Flower Walk, a boxwood and rose garden, and a plant nursery on the grounds of the Rotch-Jones-Duff House, an 1834 Greek Revival mansion in New Bedford. Designed and maintained by the club, the walk was made possible in part by the 1985 Founders Fund Award. Each spring, members lead educational woodland walk tours for fourth-graders from the local public schools. A new focus for the club has been assisting New Bedford's Buttonwood Park Zoo – part of an Olmsted landscape – with design and funding for the planting and maintenance of a butterfly garden and a wetland area next to a small stream within the park.

 

cambridge-gc-logo

Cambridge Plant & Garden Club

The Cambridge Plant & Garden Club's mother club – the Plant Club – was founded in 1889. By the turn of the century, the club was focused on all the present-day garden club concerns – horticulture, exhibiting, garden design, and conservation. Small projects led to a major effort – the installation of a shrub border around the Cambridge Common, which had lost many trees during World War I when the U.S. Navy used the site for barracks. In the spring of 1938, a daughter club – the Cambridge Garden Club – was founded. The two clubs took on a large joint project at the Fresh Pond Reservation – a unique open space in densely populated Cambridge. The reclamation of a neglected nine-acre site that had become an unofficial dump – led to the merger of the Plant Club and the Garden Club in 1966. The newly merged club joined the GCA in 1968. The merged club's energy was stimulated by the pursuit of the Founders Fund Award, planting projects at other Fresh Pond sites, and the restoration of the gardens at the Longfellow House – recently transferred to the National Park Service;.and more recnetly the plantings at the Cambridge Historical Society and a new hospice.

chestnut-hill-gc-logo

Chestnut Hill Garden Club

The Chestnut Hill Garden Club was founded in 1915 and has been an active member of the GCA since 1919. Originally chaired by men and women with large estates and staffs, the club has evolved into an organization of dynamic women – gardeners and civic volunteers with busy lives at home and outside the home. Devoted to sharing gardening skills and supporting the community, the club has participated in the New England Spring Flower Show and Art in Bloom at the Museum of Fine Arts for many years.
At the same time, it has supported civic activities, including conservation causes in the early 1930s, a soup kitchen and hospital rehabilitation project during and after World War II, the hands-on maintenance of historic gardens in Brookline and Newton, a compost project, children's greenhouse projects, guides to conservation areas and parks, plantings at the local commuter rail station, post office, highway verge, and library, and the conservation and restoration of nearby Hammond Pond, a part of the Charles River watershed.

cohasset-gc-logo

Cohasset Garden Club

The Cohasset Garden Club was organized in 1925"To stimulate the knowledge and love of gardening among amateurs; to share the advantages of association through conference and correspondence in this community, country, and abroad; to aid in the protection of native plants and birds; and to encourage civic planting." Club activities include the planting and maintenance of the garden at the Cohasset Historical Society's house museum in the center of the village. With two other organizations, the club designed and maintains a garden at an historic lighthouse-keeper's residence, a building used by the community for meetings and social occasions. and maintains the planting of an antique horse trough near the beach.. In addition, all members pitch in to make the club's main fundraiser – a Derby Day party – a success. The club supports Boston-area community efforts, enters design competitions at the New England Spring Flower Show, and Art in Bloom at the MFA, and promotes the activities of the Boston Committee. Meetings, some of which are open to the public, focus on community improvement, historic preservation, landscaping, conservation, horticulture, and flower arranging.

dublin-gc-logo

Garden Club of Dublin

The Garden Club of Dublin was founded in August 1928. From the beginning, the club has emphasized horticulture, conservation, education and civic projects. Early on, the club began to sponsor gardening projects for school children. . The club still gives scholarships for teachers and Dublin children to attend nature study camps. Gardens at the community church and parish house, the town library and town hall, the village post office, the cemetery, and the Dublin Historical Society have all been successful projects. As early as 1938, the club campaigned to control billboards in the town as well as the state and set about to preserve the shores of Dublin Lake from commercial exploitation. Over the past two years, club members and other concerned residents of Dublin and neighboring villages, as well as friends of the Monadnock region from near and far, worked together with the conservation commission, the planning board, the zoning board and selectmen, to raise money to rescue Beech Hill a 77 acre institutional property from developers. . Though the rescue campaign was by no means solely a club effort, the club played a key role in alerting the community and mobilizing people who love Dublin Lake.

fox-hill-gc-logo

Fox Hill Garden Club

Fox Hill Garden Club's goal is to investigate and share insights on horticulture, design, conservation, and civic improvement. Members do so at club meetings and also by teaching in schools, annual public meetings, nursing homes, and summer camps. Club members have always entered the New England Spring Flower Show and Art in Bloom at the MFA The club has designed and installed many civic projects (horticulture, conservation, garden restoration and landscape design) and also has worked with town committees on issues such as wetlands identification and protection. Most recently, the club has studied bees, long-season perennial color, pavé arrangement, and bamboo. A major focus since 1998 has been the design, planting, and maintenance of a butterfly garden at Hale Reservation. The garden proved so popular with summer campers and others walking the Reserva­tion's trails that, five years ago, the club developed a lesson program for campers. Over the past five years, the club has introduced thousands of city children to ecology. In addition to the butterfly garden, the club plants, weeds and waters (with conserved rainwater) a perennial garden by the Reserva­tion's office. From the beginning, the Fox Hill Garden Club has been a strong supporter of the Boston Committee's civic projects.

lenox-gc-logo

Lenox Garden Club

The Lenox Garden Club founded in 1911 , joined the GCA 1913. During World War I, it sponsored a Red Cross ambulance and its "land girls" planted vegetable gardens, canning and preserving the harvest. Over the years, through the generosity of members, the club has been able to sponsor numerous public historic gardens and sanctuaries in and around Lenox. The largest project ever undertaken by the club was the restoration of Lilac Park, begun in 1991 and continuing. The club has taken responsibility for the care of the lilacs, spring and fall clean-ups, and planting hundreds of daylilies and daffodil bulbs. The club was instrumental in the creation of the Berkshire Garden Center (now known as the Berkshire Botanical Garden), and have assisted in the restoration of the gardens at "Naumkeag" – created its early member Mabel Choate and Fletcher Steele. Since 1990, the major fundraiser has been a summer garden-and-house tour. Some of the recipients of the club's grants program include Pleasant Valley Wildlife Sanctuary, Chesterwood, Housatonic River Walk, and the Herbert Arboretum. As shown by its work, the Lenox Garden Club has steadfastly fulfilled its goals – to stimulate the interests of its members in horticulture, flower arranging, civic beautification and environmental concerns.

http://www.lenoxgardenclub.net

little-compton-gc-logo

Little Compton Garden Club

The Little Compton Garden Club was founded in 1924 and joined the Garden Club of America in 1952. It has over 80 members and 18 committees working together to stimulate the love and knowledge of gardening, protect native plants, and preserve and enhance the character of its unique seaside community. The club maintains an herb garden at the historic Wilbor House, the landscaping at an adult day-care center, and a healing garden created in 1999 in memory of Angela Spence-Shaw. Members also fill and tend seasonal window boxes on the Little Compton village commons throughout the year. In December, they work with six-graders to make holiday decorations. Plans for the future include helping to maintain a "safe garden" for senior day-care clients at the nursing center. Members of the club's horticulture and flower arranging committees regularly enter the New England Spring Flower Show. The conservation committee, which has been focusing on controlling invasive plants, is working with the town to restore the character of Wilbour Woods, a woodland of some 50 acres, left to the town by one of the club's members in 1937.

milton-gc-logo

Milton Garden Club

The Milton Garden Club, founded in 1924, has a long- standing tradition of promoting gardening, education and community service.  The Club’s annual calendar is filled with lectures, hands-on experiences, flower shows, tending of community gardens, field trips and planning and implementing our fundraisers. 

Members maintain the Lily Corner, the historic Powder House, the gardens in front of the Milton Public Library, the Horse Trough, town planters and we create decorations for the Robert Bennett Forbes House.  In addition, the Club purchased, and now maintains an historic garden designed by Fletcher Steele for Katherine Spalding, a past president of the Milton Garden Club.  We have documented 9 Milton gardens for the Archives of American Gardens at the Smithsonian.  A major focus of the Club’s conservation agenda is the Neponset River.  Once dotted with mills and other industrial sites, the river-after much remediation- is cleaner than it has been in two centuries.   The Neponset River Educational Program was designed by our Club to educate fourth graders about the history and importance of our River through conservation.  The Club has awarded grants to entities in the town that are symbiotic with our mission. In 2013 we won a Partner’s for Plants Award from the GCA to restore the Native Plant Garden at the Trailside Museum.  Annual fundraisers – a greens sale- perennial sale-compost sale sustain the Club’s programs and projects and contribute to a spirit of camaraderie.  We have received awards from local organizations recognizing us for many years of service.  We welcome all of you to come and visit, we would be happy to show you around.The Milton Garden Club, founded in 1924, has a long- standing tradition of promoting gardening, education and community service. The Club’s annual calendar is filled with lectures, hands-on experiences, flower shows, tending of community gardens, field trips and planning and implementing our fundraisers.

www.miltongardenclub.org/

monadnock-gc-logo

Monadnock Garden Club

Founded in 1925, the club's first major civic project was a nature trail, named for its founding president, Dora N. Spalding. The project followed in the wake of the devastating Hurricane of 1938 – a storm that tore far inland from the Connecticut and Rhode Island coast. Work started in 1940 on a slope of Mt. Monadnock – one of the most climbed mountains in the world. In 2002, the club was honored with a New England Wild Flower Society award for the trail's landscape design. Around 1980, the club began working at the Wyman Tavern, a historic house in Keene, New Hampshire, to develop a garden true to the early 19th-century period. A spring plant sale at the tavern provides funds to further the club's civic work. A third major project is a specialty garden at the Ashuelot River Park – a 46-acre park donated to the city in 1960. Flower shows within the club and with other clubs, especially the Garden Club of Dublin, have been a continuing pleasure. One of the club's longtime favorite efforts has been education, particularly the awarding of an annual scholarship for a teacher and a student to an Audubon camp in Maine. Feeling fortunate to live in a place so beautiful, the Monadnock Garden Club would use this last sentence to encourage GCA visitors to visit its part of the world.

mt-desert-gc-logo

Garden Club of Mt. Desert

The Garden Club of Mt. Desert, founded in 1923, was the inspiration of Beatrix Farrand, one of the original 11 members of the American Society of Landscape Architects. The format of early meetings consisted of a flower show, "original papers," and projects. During the Depression, vegetable plots were established by members and unemployed island men tended the gardens to supplement their incomes.

During the 1930s the club's open garden day was started so that local people could see members' summer gardens. With World War II, regular meetings stopped and members joined island residents in running a community canning center, preserving vegetables and fruits from victory gardens. Also undertaken were money-raising projects for the British war relief effort. In 1947, the Great Bar Harbor fire wiped out large tracts of land, destroyed landmark buildings and private homes, and shattered the return to normalcy. Out of this disaster came the decision to open the club's gardens to the general public, with the revenues going to various civic projects on the island and toward conservation efforts throughout the state of Maine. Now, the open garden day is held at the end of July in even-
numbered years. In 2006, six gardens in Northeast Harbor were featured and over $50,000 was raised – a tribute to good weather and wonderful gardens!

http://www.gcmdgardenday.com/

nantucket-gc-logo

Nantucket Garden Club

The Nantucket Garden Club was incorporated in 1959. The club's April Daffodil Show has been a tradition for 32 years, the July Green Thumb Flower Show for 42 years, and August House Tour for 52 years. The August event is the club's only public fundraiser that features five to six private homes and gardens in one part of the island. In addition to the shows and garden tour, the club is involved in a host of hands-on projects – maintaining the garden at a Nantucket Historical Association historic house, decorating the Main Street fountain, planting daffodil bulbs along the island's bike paths; planting trees; assisting with removal of invasive plants and restoration of dunes; and providing daffodil bulbs to local elementary school children .The club provides community grants to local agencies with conservation, preservation or horticulture programs.The members have also contributed their expertise to master plans for other public gardens, including the Nantucket library. Finally, the club funds scholarships for graduates and alumni of the local high school. The Nantucket Garden Club's commitment to land conservation is a legacy that continues through education, programs, and financial support. The club looks forward to sharing its history, gardens, hospitality and quaint historic town with GCA members during the post-meeting trip to Nantucket Island – the little grey lady of the sea.

http://www.nantucket.org/gardenclub/

noanett-gc-logo

Noanett Garden Club

Founded in 1923, the Noanett Garden Club was named for Chief Noanet, a contemporary of Dedham's European first settlers. Living along the banks of the Charles River, Chief Noanet is known to have hunted and fished in the streams and fields that are now vistas and points of interest in members' gardens over 300 years later. This spirit of history and respect for nature continues in Noanett Garden Club to this day. The club holds six club flower shows a year and exhibits at the New England Spring Flower Show in the individual flower arrangement and amateur horticulture divisions as well as the garden club competitions. Noanett is the only garden club in Zone I that forces all of its own plant material for the show. Many members have acquired, then passed on their knowledge in this particular skill through work in the New England Wild Flower Society's flower-show gardens. The club's most recent major project is a native plant and historic daffodil garden at Elm Bank in Wellesley, Massachusetts – new home of the Massachusetts Horti­cultural Society. The club's major fundraisers are the sale of Noanett Gold (compost) and a boutique at the annual holiday cocktail party.

north_shore_gc_logo.jpg

North Shore Garden Club

The first meeting of the North Shore Garden Club was on July 14, 1915. As the club was started during World War I, kitchen gardens were established, and thousands of jars of vegetables and fruits were donated to the local hospital. From the beginning, the club has been engaged in civic work and also contributed to conservation and fundraising projects. A major project after World War II (when members of the club again turned their flower gardens into victory gardens) was the development of a garden at the Essex Institute (now part of the Peabody Essex Museum) in Salem with a master plan drawn by the Olmsted Brothers. In the early 1970s, the club oversaw the design and installation of a memorial garden at the Beverly Hospital – a garden that has been of comfort to patients and their families in joyous and tragic times. This garden, designed by Vincent Merrill, received a landscape award that was presented by First Lady Rosalynn Carter. In 1982, the Club began its association with the gardens at Long Hill in Beverly, formerly the estate of Mr. and Mrs. Ellery Sedgwick, now a property of The Trustees of Reservations. Long Hill's beautiful gardens are open to the public. In addition to financial support for the maintenance of the Sedgwick gardens, members get their hands dirty each week planting, weeding and raking. For the past 10 years, another club horticultural effort has been the presentation of three annual programs at an assisted-living residence in Beverly.

piscataqua-gc-logo

Piscataqua Garden Club

The Piscataqua Garden Club founded in 1926, over time, the club began to cast its sights beyond York ,Maine, when it began a major project to pprotect an historic neighborhood of Portsmouth, New Hampshire, that was proposed for demolition in the 1950s. A constructive opposition proposed restoration as part of renewal, and the Strawbery Banke Museum – a 10-acre historic preserve in the center of Portsmouth – was born. In 1976, the club won the Founders Fund Award, then $7,500, for the development of a pilot area. Today, Strawbery Banke offers visitors an assortment of recreated gardens representing three centuries. For Project 2000, the club returned to its York roots and raised funds to improve a hillside next to a "gaol" (circa 1719) owned by the Old York Historical Society. Currently, the club's major project focus is conservation, especially with respect to children's education. Funds have been raised for the York Land Trust, the Sandy Point Discovery Center in New Hampshire, and a conservation master plan for the Mt. Agamenticus to the Sea Conservation Initiative in Maine. The area around Mt. Agamenticus – 48,000 acres from Kittery to Wells along the southern Maine coast – is the largest unfragmented coastal forest between Acadia National Park and the New Jersey Pine Barrens. Due to the convergence of southern and northern forest types, it is also the most biologically diverse place in the state of Maine, with the largest number of threatened and endangered species.

worcester-gc-logo

Worcester Garden Club

The Worcester Garden Club was founded in 1919 by two ladies. The club's goal was "work and learn." If sociability came – well and good! In 1930, the club established a nature trail, recognized by a "Green Ribbon Award" from the GCA in 1944. A Founders Fund Award for Bartholomew's Cobble was received in 1946. Since World War II, the club has devoted considerable energy to public planting – pocket parks, street and park trees. Partnering with the city's parks department, the Worcester County Horticultural Society and the Nathaniel Wheeler Trust, it has found ways and means to work for the green spaces of New England's third largest urban center. In the very heart of the city, on the old common and at the public library, the club has designed, planted and cared for perennial gardens. For Project 2000, the club designed and planted four perennial gardens and funded an ornamental orchard in Green Hill Park, the city's largest public park. Through the dry summers of 2002 and 2003, members hand carried water to the new plantings; today the Project 2000 plantings are well established.

The club takes pride in actively supporting the Worcester County Horticultural Society's 132-acre Tower Hill Botanic Garden. The club funded the Wildlife Garden with its "birdhouse" viewing structure, where members planted native trees and shrubs to attract birds and other wildlife. Since 1934, when the club worked with the Worcester County Horticultural Society to produce the first Worcester Spring Flower Show, its arrangers have participated in the New England Spring Flower Show, the Central Massachusetts Flower Show, Flora in Winter at the Worcester Art Museum, and Art in Bloom at the Museum of Fine Arts. The club benefits from the inspiration and success of sev­eral master arrangers. For nearly 80 years, the club has been an enthusiastic and appreciative member of the GCA. Years of "work and learn" have brought rewards never dreamed of by the two founding ladies! "

Zone I Club Map

Zone 1 GCA

Click to zoom